what is going on??

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Sat Mar 25 03:03:06 UTC 2006

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It turned out to be partially ipv6, partially the ipfw on my pfsense
firewall.  Ultimately, the hangup was in sendmail, unable to start.  Ipv6
messages in the logevel 20 maillogs.

However, during all my troubles, I was always able to resolve
ftp.freebsd.org (I don't think I mentioned that before), as well as I could
ping it and any number of other hosts as I scratched my head for 3 hours.

Ultimately, I ended up compiling a new kernel anyway to enable SMP, and I
just removed the ipv6 support while I was there.  That and disabling the
userlan ftp-proxy application on my firewall, I was up and running this
morning within a few hours of compiling.

So long fedora!

:D

jonathan