mount_ntfs(8) and filesize ... 2GB limit?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Mar 24 20:26:35 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:30:32PM -0600, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>

>>Good day,
>>
>>I'm quite *stuck* attempting to read a 14GB file from
>>an NTFS volume.  Obviously, an NTFS-based machine
>>would be great, but they aren't playing nice, and I'm
>>afraid my Winfoo isn't up to snuff (and I was up most
>>of the night with it, so my RTFM is suffering, too....)
>>
>>FreeBSD mounts and reads both partitions on the
>>drive, but when I attempt to read the large file,
>>every operation seems to truncate the file at about
>>2 GB.  Since I've tried cp(1), dd(1), tar(1), cpio(1),
>>FTP, and SMBFS, (plus Freesbie, Knoppix, and NTFS
>>for Win98) I'm starting to think that it's the underlying
>>FreeBSD NTFS layer that's at issue (in the FreeBSD
>>portions of the problem, I mean).
>>
>>Can anyone confirm my hunch?
>>

>I think there are PRs about this.

I don't find many, but, I've not spent too much time
on the search page.  Most applicable one I see was
from 2004, about 5.2 days.  I would assume that any
changes would reflect in 6.0.  Of course, if I really
*wanted* to know, I could check the cvsweb, eh?

>>And, even better, have you got a surefire way
>>to get "my_very_important.bkf" off the disk?  ;)
>>

>/usr/ports/sysutils/ntfsprogs/ ?
>
>Kris

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm hopeful
that this will help!

Kevin Kinsey

--
Don't marry for money; you can borrow it cheaper.
		-- Scottish Proverb