mount_ntfs(8) and filesize ... 2GB limit?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Mar 24 19:00:49 UTC 2006

Good day,

I'm quite *stuck* attempting to read a 14GB file from
an NTFS volume.  Obviously, an NTFS-based machine
would be great, but they aren't playing nice, and I'm
afraid my Winfoo isn't up to snuff (and I was up most
of the night with it, so my RTFM is suffering, too....)

FreeBSD mounts and reads both partitions on the
drive, but when I attempt to read the large file,
every operation seems to truncate the file at about
2 GB.  Since I've tried cp(1), dd(1), tar(1), cpio(1),
FTP, and SMBFS, (plus Freesbie, Knoppix, and NTFS
for Win98) I'm starting to think that it's the underlying
FreeBSD NTFS layer that's at issue (in the FreeBSD
portions of the problem, I mean).

Can anyone confirm my hunch?

And, even better, have you got a surefire way
to get "my_very_important.bkf" off the disk?  ;)

Thank you very much,

Kevin Kinsey

--
It's not whether you win or lose but how you played the game.
		-- Grantland Rice