smb_maperror unmapped error 1:158

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 24 11:42:28 UTC 2006

Steel City Phantom wrote:

>   im using bsd 6.  i write a script that fires on startup and shutdown
>   that mounts the drives.  i mount several, but here is one of the mount
>   commands
>   mount_smbfs -f 0777 -d 0777 //administrator at willie-win/MP3
>   /usr/local/drive_h/MP3
>   it seems like anything that accesses a file in that share will create
>   the error.
>   Lowell Gilbert wrote:

FYI, you don't need to write a script.  I would guess that 6.0 is the
same as 5.4 in this respect.  You can set a variable in rc.conf

extra_netfs_types="smbfs:SAMBA"

and then put any password info in /etc/nsmb.conf (read-only root!).

Then put an entry in /etc/fstab like:

//administrator at willie-win/MP3 /usr/local/drive_h/MP3  smbfs   rw              0       0

If /usr/local/drive_h/MP3 is mode 777 then you don't need -f or -d

Connecting as administrator seems like a bad idea to me.

I have no idea what causes your error.  What does a mount which works look like, and how does anything on Windows differ between a mount that works and one that doesn't?

--Alex