Remote Single User Mode?

Eric Schultz eric at schultznet.ca
Thu Mar 23 14:48:53 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:11:48AM -0800, Chris Maness wrote:
>> I administer this box by remote.
>
> Look into setting up a serial console; this is the "remote single user
> mode" you're looking for.

Good morning...

How remote is "remote"?

If it's just down the hall you can probably get a DB25/DB9 (depending on
the machine) to RJ45 adapter and use existing CAT5 cable to get to a
serial console to your desk.  There even exist serial RJ45 switch boxes
if you have several machines to "remote" administer.

If it's farther than that, like in another building/city/etc. you can
always setup a modem on the box's serial port and dial in to that.
You'll need a modem at your end too, which means either an analog line
or a analog-to-digital tap for your office phone.

I have no idea whether there any serial-over-IP solutions.  But you
could build one with FreeBSD!!!

--
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

   Eric Schultz
   (aka Storkman)

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/schultznet
Homepage: http://www.schultznet.ca