encrypted drives

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Mar 22 12:56:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:20:34 +0100
Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:

> Using geli appears to be the same as for gbde.

Using geli here (FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0). since this is my
(work) laptop, the only (allowed) user is me - I simply use sudo as
needed (IOW, yes, mdconfig , geli and mount require root access)

You could create wrappers for each user with the sudo option NOPASSWORD
so the users can create / mount their devices without entering their
password ( "user-friendliness" ). Or setuid the bins...(without
much time to think about it, i prefer sudo...)

How to mount the user's homedir would require some changes to how the
login process works, i guess (i.e., know that the homedir's contents
are encrypted, then  mount the disk...)...