lpr errors- using /dev/ulpt0

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Mar 22 00:08:19 UTC 2006

At 3:59 PM -0800 3/21/06, Rob wrote:

>"lpc status lp" command reports that it is up, a job is
>spooled, and the printer is idle but nothing comes out.
>
>I am finding the following ... in /var/log/lpd.errs:
>
>lp: unable to open dfA000xenon ('f' line)
>lp: job could not be printed (cfA000xenon)
>
>xenon is the name of my computer.  I am wondering if
>this is another problem with my hosts file?

Hmm.  Not sure.  It might be.

If you have a job sitting in the queue, then go into
the spool directory for that printer (the 'sd=' value
in your /etc/printcap entry).  You should see one
filename starting with 'cfA', and at least one more,
which starts with 'dfA'.

See what lines are in the control file.  Chances
are pretty good you have a line:

fdfA000xenon

So the question is whether 'dfA000xenon' is another
file in that directory.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu