Why doesn't Turn Off The Computer turn off the computer?

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Tue Mar 21 23:15:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Yance Kowara wrote:

[snip]

> Yes, strangely enough shutdown -h now in FreeBSD will only halt the
> machine. halt -p will poweroff the box, and shutdown -p now will also
> power off the box.

The shutdown options don't seem very strange to me: H stands for Halt, P
stands for Power. The halt manpage says that "Normally, the shutdown(8)
utility is used when the system needs to be halted ... cleanly
terminating specific programs."

> In Linux, shutdown -h now will power off the machine.

*That* makes no sense to me, and I would find it to be unexpected
behavior... but I guess it's a matter of what you're used to.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]