specifying memory partitions to BTX loader

Lee Shackelford lee_shackelford at dot.ca.gov
Tue Mar 21 16:52:43 UTC 2006

Good morning dear person at FreeBSD questions.  I am trying to install
FreeBSD 5.3 on a Compaq Proliant 5000 with multiple Pentium Pro processors
and SMART-SCSI 2/P hardware RAID array.  It contains a flash-ROM BIOS.  The
BIOS does not follow the conventions of fixed-ROM BIOSes such as are
installed on most workstation type computers.  According to a message
posted on a user forum for Fedora Linux, this BIOS divides the 1 gigabyte
memory into three sections.  The loader for Fedora Linux has an option to
hand enter this information, since the loader does not detect it.  The BTX
loader supplied with FreeBSD 5.3 apparently also fails to correctly detect
the memory configuration because the attempt to load always fails.  It
fails to write the ports table, and then, if BTX is run in safe mode,
generates a page fault.  How do I hand enter this information into BTX
loader?  If this question has been answered before, I would be satisfied
just to know where it is posted.  Any assistance is appreciated.