Low network performance after upgrade from FreeBSD 4.8 to 6.0

Andrey V. Semyonov wilfre at mail.ru
Tue Mar 21 14:00:07 UTC 2006

Bohuslav Plucinsky wrote:

> I've tried PF, suggested by Martin Hudec and it seems that PF does not
> have this performance problem. I like IPFW, I use it since year 1999,
> but probably is time to switch to PF.

The impact you receive is caused by user-level 'natd'. Use 'ipnat(8)'
instead as it is kernel-level, or as mentioned use 'pf(4)'. Of course
use it without 'ipfw add divert' rule by saving the overall role of
'ipfw' in your firewalling.

As an addition, you may use 'ipnat', 'ipfw' and 'pf' and seems even
'ipf' together the same time (with some precautions, try to find the
information on it, I know it was there). Just using needed specific
features of each of them where it is needed.

Try it. Use it.