Urgent FreeBSD Boot question!

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Mar 20 21:51:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:42:37 -0500
Benjamin Sher <delphi123 at zebra.net> wrote:
> Dear Daniel:
>
> I have an old but very reliable Dell Dimension 8200 that's 6 years old.
> It does not have a boot option for both of my separate hard disks. The
> only BOOT options are: floppy, CD or hard drive. That's why I need the
> boot manager solution.

By default, FreeBSD will install the boot manager on the disk that you
installed FreeBSD on - but your BIOS isn't trying to boot from that
disk, so it doesn't help.

You can go back into sysinstall and tell it to install a boot manager
on the first disk.  Be _very_ careful, as you'll delete Windows if you
choose the wrong options.  I'm sorry that I don't remember the exact
sequence to accomplish this.  As has been said: make good backups first!
You _only_ want to install the boot manager - not change anything else.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.