rsync script not excluding dirs

Parv parv at pair.com
Sun Mar 19 22:44:13 UTC 2006

in message <810a540e0603191355n3e86fe15pa15a24da1a48dce8 at mail.gmail.com>,
wrote Pat Maddox thusly...

> I have a backup script that runs nightly, and I want it to exclude
> certain dirs (ports, obj, etc).  However when I run the script it
> doesn't exclude anything, leaving me with pretty massive backups.
> /, /var, /usr, and /backup are all on different partitions.  The key
> part is at the bottom where it calls rsync and excludes dirs.  Can
> someone tell me what's wrong with the script?
> PRE="/usr/local/bin/rsync"
> ${PRE} -bapoguLxSRC --exclude=*.core --exclude=*~* / --exclude=/dev
> --exclude=/backup /backup/${DAY1}/
> ${PRE} -bapoguLxSRC --exclude=*.core --exclude=*~* /var /backup/${DAY1}/
> ${PRE} -bapoguLxSRC --exclude=*.core --exclude=*~* --exclude=/usr/src
> --exclude=/usr/ports --exclude=/usr/obj /usr /backup/${DAY1}/

Your script seems to have wrapped by your mail client.

Anyway, in rsync(1) man page, see "INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES"
section, point 2 ...

  o if the pattern ends with a / then it will only  match  a  direc-
    tory, not a file, link, or device.

In other words, none of your exclude patterns for directories end in
'/' , thus the backup, src, ports, etc. directories are not
excluded.

  - Parv