GCC 4.X

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Sun Mar 19 22:27:47 UTC 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 6:53 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Hello.
> This maybe a OT questions here, but I would like to know whether there
> are plans to make gcc 4.X the standard compiler for FreeBSD and in
> case
> of a positive answere, when this will be the case. I read about some
> problems in recoding parts of the OS, but as I use FreeBSd in a
> scientific environment I would welcome a 'out of the box' compiler
> solution for our environment and not using a port.

I have no doubt FreeBSD will one day move to the 4.x series of gcc,
baring problems with GPL 3.0. But one of the biggest reasons I left
Linux for FreeBSD was that such things were not done in FreeBSD just
because there was a bump in version number. FreeBSD waited for others
to work out the kinks in gcc-3.x before converting the -STABLE
branch. Same for conversion from aout to ELF binary format.

So in a sense what my answer is asking is, "What is it that you
expect of gcc-4.x that makes it desirable?" I'll color my statement
by observing when installing XCode on my MacBook, I deleted the
option for gcc-4.0. Gcc-3.3 was marked "mandatory" and I didn't feel
adventurous. At least at the command line, gcc couldn't find cc1
until I installed gcc-4.0. Apparently I'd have to work harder to
figure out how to run 3.3  and all I was after was to quickly compile
a small application.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net