BSD License "Innocence" Clause Proposal

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 22:16:31 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if I should start advocating the idea here.
Some people must've had this thought before I ever
did, I hope they will support me.

We need a special clause in the license we release
our work under. I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that
it will be very hard to devise and formulate. Basically,
it should state that under no circumstances and under
no legislation should ever any entity be punished for
breaking the license terms.

I just can't sleep tight when a man can get sued and
prosecuted because he copied a piece of my work
without mentioning my name, whatever his motives
are. At the same time, I respect my work and the work
of other, and appreciate a way to state that names
should be mentioned.

So we need a "law", that can be followed and can
be broken, but can't be enforced.

What do you think, guys?