Building a virgin.

Riemer Palstra riemer at palstra.com
Sat Mar 18 22:51:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 11:31:54AM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> Install apache first before mysql and php.

Err, no, I think it's better to do MySQL first:

> installing database/MySQL server (4.1.18_1)
> installing database/MySQL client (4.1.18)

Installing the server will normally also get you the client. Any reason
for not going with MySQL 5?

> install lang/PHP4 (4.4.1_1)
> install (use config) lang/php-extensions

If MySQL is already installed, php-mysql (or if using PHP5 also
php-mysqli) will pick up the libraries of the already installed
mysql-client. Any reason to not go with PHP 5?

> install apache

Install Apache before PHP, especially when you're installing Apache 2.0
or 2.2. By doing that, PHP will pick up on the right apxs binary and
build with that compatibility in mind.

--
Riemer Palstra		     		      Amsterdam, The Netherlands
riemer at palstra.com				 http://www.palstra.com/