Two different versions for gtk for mplayer, gnucash -- any way to resolve?

Oliver Iberien oliver.iberien at charter.net
Sat Mar 18 20:42:42 UTC 2006

The pkg_add version of gnucash (1.8.11) wants gtk-1.2.10_13, but the mplayer
port version (no package?) wants 1.2.10_15. The port version of gnucash
(1.8.12) wants the newer gtk, but the compile fails due to missing libraries
which the port system should aready have installed (I thought?). I can keep
1.8.11 going.

I am very new to FreeBSD and the ports system and would like to have both
programs. Do ports and packages not keep in synch? If I run portupgrade, will
I just end up with a mass of failed compiles (does that happen often) because
of problems with the gtk port? Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can
have both programs? Thanks to anyone who can tell me.

Oliver

PS: Sorry for the previous truncated version of this message. Hit send by
accident...

That's the short version. The longer version starts here:

With the newer gtk installed (presumably?), the mplayer compiles fails with:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgtk12.so.2, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not
found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgdk12.so.2, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not
found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgmodule12.so.3, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so,
not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgthread12.so.3, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so,
not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libglib12.so.3, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so, not
found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

Whereas the ports compile of gnucash (1.8.12) fails with this:

checking for gdk-pixbuf-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/gdk-pixbuf-config
checking for GDK_PIXBUF - version >= 0.2.5... no
*** Could not run GDK_PIXBUF test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GDK_PIXBUF or finding the wrong
*** version of GDK_PIXBUF. If it is not finding GDK_PIXBUF, you'll need to set
your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
checking for gnome-config... (cached) /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-config
checking for GNOME-PRINT - version >= 0.21... "found 0.37"
checking for libglade-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/libglade-config
checking for libglade... yes
checking for main in -lgal... no
configure: error: gal library not found. See the README and config.log for
more info.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.

Which gives me the impression that something with gtk is not happy.

I am pretty sure the gal library was one of the dependencies that had already
been installed in the gnucash install process, as well. There however does
not seem to be a package called "libgal." There is also no config.log
under /var/log... would it be somewhere else?