Portupgrade fails to upgrade after using portsnap

Donald J. O'Neill donaldjoneill at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:30:02 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 March 2006 08:06, Jez Hancock wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For a long time I've been using cvsup and portupgrade to update the
> ports tree once a week; this has worked well for years now.  Recently
> though I changed to using portsnap to update the ports tree, still
> using portupgrade once a week to update the ports.  I followed the
> method outlined in the handbook more or less for upgrading using
> portsnap, essentially running a cronjob:
>
> portsnap cron && portsnap update && portupgrade -arRF && pkg_version
> -v -I -l "<"
>
> to grab and extract the latest port snapshot, fetch any newer port
> distfiles/tarballs and then report by mail what ports are out of
> date.
>
> This worked well for a few weeks up until Feb 25th - since then not a
> single out of date port has been reported and 'portupgrade -arR'
> fails to upgrade anything. I thought this might have been to do with
> the recent ports freeze, though checking now I see that only went on
> from the start of March...
>
> I've changed back to use cvsup and the old method - basically 'cvsup
> -g -L2 supfile && cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex && portsdb -u' -
> but still no joy.  I was convinced it was the ports db files that
> were out of synch and thought this might do the trick to fix the
> problem, but unfortunately no - if I view the resulting INDEX file
> from this procedure I can see there are ports out of date as well,
> it's just 'portupgrade -arR' etc refuses to find any updates.
>
> Questions then:
>
> What could the problem be?
> For future reference what is the best way to purge the ports system
> of out of date db files and regenerate them all so 'portupgrade
> -arRi' will work?
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Jez Hancock
Jez,

I think my first response was a little unkind and I apologize for that.

The way I see it, your cronjob succeeded in doing what you set it to do.
It just didn't do what you wanted.

First, portsnap requires fetch to get the files it needs, 'portsnap
upgrade' doesn't do that. You need to run 'portsnap fetch upgrade' or
'portsnap fetch' && ' portsnap upgrade'. Had you done that, it probably
would have worked and you would have gotten something from the
portupgrade portion of your cronjob. As it was, there was nothing new
for portupgrade to work with and report.

Don