Portupgrade woes ...

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Mar 18 14:03:18 UTC 2006

Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish at planet.nl> writes:

> I want to find out which ports need updating by running 'portupgrade
> -arR' "<". However, I am getting the following error message:
>
> Stale dependency: ImageMagick-6.2.5.5_3 --> lcms-1.14_1,1 -- manually
> run 'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
>
> As suggested, I run 'pkgdb -F' and after a couple minutes, it seems to
> have fixed a number of problems.
>
> Rerunning portupgrade results in the same error as above.
>
> I tried rebuilding the port as follows:
>
> cd /usr/ports
> make fetchindex
> portsdb -u
>
> And then retrying the above, but this doesn;t help either.
>
> Help! How can I break out of this viscous circle and become a sane
> FreeBSD-er again?!

What a sticky situation.

First of all, I think you would do best right now to build your own
index.  'portsdb -uU' will take a while, but it will match exactly
what you have installed, which will probably help getting the
dependency comparisons correct.

Also, run 'pkgdb -F' until it stops reporting problems.