mount_smbfs and NETSMBCRYPTO

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Fri Mar 17 23:35:54 UTC 2006

Derrick Ryalls wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have recently run into a problem mounting windows shares on my 6.1 Beta 2
> laptop.  smbfs is loaded via loader.conf, but I get an error message stating
> that encryption support is not available.  According to this thread:

> I now need to add
>
> options NETSMBCRYPTO
>
> To my kernel config to get encryption support added for mount_smbfs?

Yes.  That will fix it.

> I am currently running a generic kernel and I have never needed to do this
> in the past just to mount a windows share.  Has something changed recently
> and I will need to do a buildworld to fix this?

FWIW... I (and others) were bitten by this.  There was a thread not long
ago with a few complaining about the change breaking POLA, and possibly
an explanation as to why it was changed.  However, I can't seem to dig
it, or anything for that matter, up out of the archives.  Others have
mentioned the archive search not working well lately... so you might
wait another day or two and search through the archives for the reason
why it was changed.

> I tried kldload netsmbcrypto but I guess the file does not exist.  Is there
> any way for me to mount a windows share without doing a buildworld?  I did
> not pull sources when I built the machine as I intended to just run generic
> and load anything extra via loader.conf.
>
> Thanks for any pointers on this.
>

> -Derrick

Regards,
Eric