saslauthd with sendmail

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Fri Mar 17 19:44:44 UTC 2006

Greetings!  This is my first posting to this list, ive been using FreeBSD
for about 5 days now.  I come from a fairly extensive linux background, so I
have a pretty good handle on compiling and configuring things.  Im actually
doing a project for myself to see if I can configure an exact "services"
replica of my production linux servers, but on FreeBSD (and then ill switch
it over!!).

I have a couple dev boxes im using for my experimentation.  One, I did a
minimal install.  The other, I did the developer install (install option 4 I
believe it was).  The other, I did a full/complete install, but so far, ive
not used that one in any of my testing.  Its just there.

I am having terrible trouble with sendmail and saslauthd!  Ive spent at
least 48 hours compiling or pkg_add'ing things to try to get it to work.
Each time I give the command: sendmail -d0.1 -bv root, this is what I get:

fbsd60-3# sendmail -d0.1 -bv root

Version 8.13.4

 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7

                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING
SCANF

                STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG

Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)

I also get that last warning line when sendmail starts too.  Ive tried
pkg_install sendmail+tls+sasl2+ldap,  then sendmail+tls+sasl2, then even
sendmail and cyrus-sasl-saslauthd.  Same thing as above.  Still complains of
no SASL.  Then ive tried using ports.

cd /usr/ports/security/sasl2

make install distclean

cd /usr/ports/security/sasl2-saslauthd

make install distclean

then,

cd /usr/src/lib/libsm

make obj && make depend && make

cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil

make obj && make depend && make

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail

make obj && make depend && make && make install

and always, with each attempt, I have the proper lines in /etc/rc.conf, such
as saslauthd_enable="YES", and the make.conf contains:

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2

SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS+= -L/usr/local/lib

SENDMAIL_LDADD+= -lsasl2

I can get Sendmail to recievemails for local users at domain.dom no problem,
like I said, I have a general handle on the configuration of sendmail.  I
just cant get saslauthd to play nice on freebsd for the life of me!  Help!!!

Thanks,

Jonathan Horne