Problems with Vim 6.3.85 (vim6+ruby)

Jim Freeze jimfreeze at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:52:34 UTC 2006

Hi

I just installed FBSD 6.0 and installed vim6+ruby from ports.
This is a clean system with nothing on it.

When I run vim, I get what looks like character codes instead of
letters.

For example, immediately after opening vim, I get

25h

Typing  ':q' to quit gives me:
-------
25h25l

:25hq25l25h
--------

Very weird.

Have I set something up wrong or is vim getting the wrong terminal type?
I get the same behavior if TERM is either 'xterm' or 'xterm-color',
but not
if it is set to 'ansi', but then I don't get color.

I have never had to worry about this before.
Any help appreciated.

--
Jim Freeze
Got Ruby?