Slow floppy operation

Maxim Vetrov muxas at mail.ru
Fri Mar 17 11:42:25 UTC 2006

Hi,
 From dmesg:

fdc0: <floppy drive controller> port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq6 drq 2 on acpi0
fdc0: [FAST]
fd0: <1440-KB 3,5" drive> on fdc0 drive0

As you can see, it's usual floppy drive for 3.5". After I'd bought that
notbook, I installed FreeBSD 5.4 and used floppy quite often, the speed
was about ten times faster!!!! To be sure that the same diskette is good
I've dd'ed it on my desktop, the stats is:

2880+0 records in
2880+0 records out
1474560 bytes transferred in 48.589449 secs (30347 bytes/sec)

So, it's a matter of some configuration hints (let's exclude hardware
for a while). I know that it's not possible to find a solution for my
strange problem not having my notebook. So I'll be thankful if you
suggest some checklist to follow to be sure it's configured properly...
or not properly :-)
It might include kernel options, device.hints, etc.

Regards,
Muxas