Spam on the list

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 16 19:20:18 UTC 2006

Daniel A. wrote:

>Yes indeed, this spam is sent to the list itself.
>I was very puzzled when I woke up this morning.
>
>The spam seems to be in russian.

Ah, then, it's working!!  </evil-laugh>

Just kidding.  I'm pretty sure that some spam filtering is/has
been done in the past.  IIRC, it's one reason that the FBSD
MX's run (ran?) Postfix. I imagine that the filters are still in
place ... these lists have such a long history on the 'Net, and
are very public (with archives all over), so spam bots could
hardly avoid grabbing the list addresses .....

So, either the spam is smarter, or something's regressed.
And, actually, most of what I'm seeing is English, and from
a similar source.  So, the other possibility, besides random spam,
is that ... well, I'll let you guess, but it also happens occasionally.

Most likely it will be temporary; I'd be fairly confident that
somebody with control of said server is or will soon be aware
of the issue and is doing or will soon do something about it.

Kevin Kinsey

--
I hate trolls.  Maybe I could metamorph it into something else -- like a
ravenous, two-headed, fire-breathing dragon.