Disappointed with version 6.0

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Mar 16 17:20:47 UTC 2006

Peter wrote:

>The values I'm getting fluctuate wildly.  Sometimes with a difference
>of 30 degrees after waiting just a couple of seconds.

That really doesn't sound good to me, but I don't really have enough
experience of system building to do more than guess at the cause.  I
would strongly suspect the heatsink/processor bond but couldn't be
sure.  I have no idea if the actually monitoring chip could be faulty,
for example, or if it could be a BIOS problem (problems related to bad
temperature readings certainly *can* exist but fluctuating temps is a
bit different).  If no-one here can help, maybe try an overclockers
forum - just because there tends to be a lot of system building
experience there.  Maybe ASUS support would help (but I wouldn't hold my
breath).

As I said, I went for arctic silver with my heatsink, but I got to apply
it to clean components and it gets a bit harder if you have to clean the
thermal paste off.  They do a cleaner as well and had pretty good
instructions on their website when I last looked.

--Alex