HP PSC 1610 Multifunction and FreeBSD

David Wassman opensrc.root at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 23:06:10 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I am running FreeBSD 6 right now. I was able to get the printer on the HP
PSC 1610 to work under cups. I am now trying to get the scanner function to
work under SANE and possibly twainsane. Anyone have experience with this
printer/setup?

I get no recognition from the system when I load the uscanner.ko. I do have
the umass and ulpt loaded at boot through loader.conf. I get the following
at boot or when the printer is plugged in:

ulpt0: HP PSC 1600 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 255/204
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
umass0: HP PSC 1600 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2

Also what about the HP Linux Image and Printing driver? I see some people
have got the scanner to be recognized under linux? Is there a way to use
these drivers? Maybe a port outside the ports collection?

Unfortunately, googling freebsd and hp psc 1610 does not turn up much. Any
ideas?

David