port updates

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Wed Mar 15 11:15:36 UTC 2006

At 02:34 AM 3/15/2006, Markus Mayer wrote:
>Hi all,
>got a question about port updates.
>I run a FreeBSD Box 5.4 release. I use the
>server for webapps with php and mysql enabled,
>also samba an ssh is running. Everything works fine
>and stable.
>Now i update the ports on my machine via CVSup and check the
>installed packages for newer versions.
>
>Now my question:
>Do i run in trouble if i update my installed packages
>like apache, php or mysql ? or does it work without problems.
>Is it necessary to backup my config files and databases ?
>Or what is the best way to get my apps up to date ?

The portupgrade port is a great tool.  It's in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

Generally speaking you don't have to worry about your config files
getting clobbered, but you should always have a backup of those things anyway.

The handbook has a section on upgrading ports here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html#PORTS-UPGRADING

-Glenn