Regarding the (apparent) removal of syslogd_program functionality in recent versions

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Mar 14 15:51:21 UTC 2006

The rc.conf manpage states that syslogd_program= can be used to change
the program run for system logging.  This is also mentioned in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf and in the pkg-message for the syslog-ng port.

It appears as if this capability has been removed from post 4.x
systems.  The rcng script for syslog does not honor syslogd_program -
nor does anything else on a 6.0 system, as far as I can tell.

I was getting ready to write a doc PR, and I thought I'd ask about
it first.  Does anyone know if there's a reason to put this
functionality back in?  It seems to work just fine if I use
syslogd_enable="NO" and allow the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
to start syslog-ng

Thoughts?

--
Bill Moran