Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Vaaf vaaf at broadpark.no
Tue Mar 14 10:13:54 UTC 2006

>You haven't replied very usefully to some of my suggestions, at least.
>
>One of them was that with all these scripted trickery you had been
>using, your /usr/include headers may be out of touch with reality.
>
># Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:52:16 +0200
># From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>
># Subject: Re: Haven't been able to make world in about a year
># To: Kristian Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no>
># Cc: "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd at gmail.com>,
>#         freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>#
># [...]
>#
># > --------------------------------------------------------------
># > >>> stage 2.3: build tools
># > --------------------------------------------------------------
># > cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj  INSTALL="sh
># > /usr/src/tools/install.sh"
>#
># [...]
>#
># It looks like your system headers may have serious problems.  Is this
># system a clean installation of 5.4-RELEASE or one where you may have
># updated the system headers manually at some time?
>
>Any idea what a possible & useful answer to that question is?

Considering I removed all of /usr/src and redownloaded it with cvsup,
I would rule out this possibility. However I don't deny its possibility ...

> > But then, what can it be?
> > Is it time for the list to admit "there's nothing we can do"?
>
>No.  It's time for you to start actually taking some of the suggestions
>that you have missed, *and* replying to the questions that have been
>unanswered (some time for weeks now), though :)
>
>It is highly unlikely that an upgrade process that works for hundreds of
>systems around the world, even through a simple serial console
>connection, somehow has decided to mysteriously fail only for you.
>
>It is obvious that you are doing something wrong (or that you have done
>something wrong in the past, and are now seeing the consequences).  We
>just have to find out what that is.

:)

It would be real sweet not having to reinstall everything,
even though I can restore all my configuration files in just one command.

I'll continue snooping around, and get back to you guys.

All the best,
Vaaf