how does a system come up if you disable background fsck ?

Tamouh H. hakmi at rogers.com
Tue Mar 14 04:42:41 UTC 2006

> Ensel Sharon wrote:
> > I have disabled background fsck in my /etc/rc.conf with:
> >
> > background_fsck="no"
> >
> > But I am curious - what does this mean for the system if the system
> > crashes ?
> >
> > Does this mean that the system will wait for all non root
> partitions
> > to fully fsck before coming up into multi-user mode ?
> >
> > OR
> >
> > Does it mean the system will boot up quickly into
> multi-user mode, but
> > the non-root partitions will just not be mounted and/or
> usable until I
> > fsck them by hand ?
> >
> > thanks.
>
> The former, as I can say with ample experience this morning.
> (stupid USB
> panic)
>
> HTH,
> Micah

I find both ways useless. If fsck background starts after a crash it literally slows down the machine to a halt rendering it unusable.

If enable fsck to check the system prior to mounting device, it will take at least 15-30 minutes for it to complete (in the event of a hard crash). Which also translates to a downtime.

disabling fsck on the long run is a bad choice too as eventually the system files will become corrupt beyond repair.

What is the solution here ?

Thx,

Tamouh