installs fine, but won't boot.

NevTide nevtide at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 16:02:50 UTC 2006

--- Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu>
wrote:

> > I've been trying to get FreeBSD to run on my
> Toshiba
> > Satellite (m45 359). I tried a couple of times
> with
> > version 6.0 and the install went fine, but the
> > computer doesn't seem to recognize the drive as
> being
> > bootable. (So I experimented with a couple
> different
> > setting the partition (yes, it's a primary) to
> > bootable, even erasing the whole drive and
> allocating
> > it to FreeBSD. Regardless of what I've tried, the
> boot
> > sequence doesn't see a hardrive and skips it.
>
> Probbaly you have covered this, but that last
> sentence inplies
> a BIOS setting problem to me.     Is the hard disk
> in the BIOS
> boot sequence and before any other devices with
> media that is in
> the system? (such as if CD is before hard disk in
> the boot sequence
> you may have to make sure there is no CD in the
> drive to get to
> the hard disk, same with a floppy).
>
> ////jerry

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is really kind
of strange. I suspected the BIOS as well, but I have
the boot order set for CDROM > HDD > LAN > FDD (or
something to that regard.)

Everytime I tried booting, the computer would just try
connecting to the LAN (cdrom was emty, but that will
boot first without any problems when a disc is in the
drive).

I really thought the BSD boot manager would have been
recognized like grub or winxp's.

??