mail backup solution?

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:24:27 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> Pat Maddox wrote:
> > On 3/13/06, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> >> Your mail hosting provider should have working backups, although it is worth
> >> checking.
> >
> > I have a server running postfix/courier-imap, and I'd like to know how
> > to make those working backups.  I've asked a couple places but haven't
> > found anything useful.
>
> The two most common styles of mailboxes are mbox and maildir, and both of those
> can be backed up at the filesystem level using dump, tar, or anything else.

I've got it set up using maildir.  In the past to back up the mail I
just copied the files.  At one point I had to restore from the backup,
so I just copied the files back into the original location.  Logging
in via imap though, there were no emails to be found.  I've gotten
vague "I think you just copy the files" responses, but that didn't
work in my case, and I'm not sure what I need to do.

Pat