pkgdb warning message

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Sun Mar 12 15:31:14 UTC 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> When running the following command: pkgdb -Fv, I receive the following
> message:
>
> Duplicated origin: devel/libtool15 - libtool-1.5.22_1 libtool-1.5.22_2
> Unregister any of them? [no]
>
> I am unsure of what action to take, therefore I have chosen the default
> [no] one suggested. Would it be prudent to delete one of these
> duplicates, and if so does it matter which one?

/usr/ports/UPDATING:

20060223:
   AFFECTS: all ports using libtool as part of the build process
   AUTHOR: ade at FreeBSD.org

   The way in which ports that require libtool to build has been
   completely reworked to bring the ports system in line with other
   environments, such as Linux, and pkgsrc.

   devel/libtool13 no longer exists.  devel/libtool15 has been modified
   to (a) install in the canonical locations and (b) remove a number
   of long-standing FreeBSD-specific patches that resulted in a very
   different libtool than is present on other systems.

   The main visible change will be that a large number of ports have
   had their plists modified (we now install libtool .la archives)
   and, as such, PORTREVISIONS have been bumped on ~2000 ports (roughly
   1/7th of the tree).

   Unfortunately, there is no simple upgrade path.  Short of removing
   all packages and reinstalling from scratch, the only other viable
   alternative would be careful use of portupgrade.  Given the large
   number of different ways in which libtool is used by other ports
   in the tree, this is a process that is likely to vary considerably
   from system to system, and as such, folks should be very mindful
   of running automatic updating software, such as portupgrade, making
   extensive use of the -n flag (and equivalents for other updaters)
   to see what will actually be rebuilt, before actually performing
   the upgrade.

   The good news is that the system now in place will make the handling
   of libtool-using ports considerably easier going forward.