GNOME help PLEASE

Heliocentric heliocentric at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:24:05 UTC 2006

On 3/11/06, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
> while i'm not regular user of gnome, i have to configure it for users.
>
> the problem is how to make configuration template default for every new
> user.
>
> i tried to copy whole or partial user directory to other users+chown but
> no success. always something crashes or doesn't work. only copying desktop
> icons ends in full success.

/usr/share/skel/ is where default config files usually go, any file
starting with . has to be renamed to dot. (so .fvwm2rc becomes
dot.fvwm2rc).

As far as I know, this only works with a "normal" adduser.conf and
using the adduser command or pw.

Also, (with X11 programs especially) you'll have to edit all absolute
paths in the config files to point to either relative, of if the app
supports it, $HOME or ~/, so the programs won't attempt to write or
read from the user you copied the configs from.

Example:

IconPath /root/icons

would become:

IconPath $HOME/icons