Xorg config problems

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 17:23:46 UTC 2006

On 3/11/06, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> I recycle old P2 class machines for a set of applications at work. I
> switched to Xorg for these machines a while back, and was pleased to find
> that I did not have to create a config file for Xorg as it was able to
> autodetect all the correct stuff.
>
> Today, though I ran up on 2 machines that are the older end of the spectrum
> of machines that I use for this, and for some reason this does not seem to
> be working.
snip
> (WW) CIRRUS(0): Mode pool is empty
> (EE) CIRRUS(0): No valid modes found

Usually this means you need to specify your horizontal
and vertical sync and refresh rates.
I would run:
X -configure
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then add some lines like:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Barfy"
    HorizSync   31-92     # Taken from my monitor,
    VertRefresh 55-160   # Don't use these values.
EndSection

and change

Section "Screen"
    Monitor "Barfy"

Frequently on older cards the monitor's capabilities
cannot be detected which can lead to very conservative
defaults which can lead to no valid modes.

There is a database of these values (I've found it to be
accurate, if incomplete):
http://www.monitorworld.com/monitors_home.html