Xorg config problems

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 11 17:20:07 UTC 2006

stan wrote:

>I recycle old P2 class machines for a set of applications at work. I
>switched to Xorg for these machines a while back, and was pleased to find
>that I did not have to create a config file for Xorg as it was able to
>autodetect all the correct stuff.
>
>Today, though I ran up on 2 machines that are the older end of the spectrum
>of machines that I use for this, and for some reason this does not seem to
>be working.
>
>Here's the Xorg logfiel from oen of these amchines:

<snipped>

>(WW) CIRRUS(0): Mode pool is empty
>(EE) CIRRUS(0): No valid modes found
>(II) UnloadModule: "cirrus"
>(II) UnloadModule: "ddc"
>(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.so
>(II) UnloadModule: "i2c"
>(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libi2c.so
>(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
>(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.so
>(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
>(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.so
>(II) UnloadModule: "cirrus_alpine"
>(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
>Fatal server error:
>no screens found
>
>Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
>	 at http://wiki.X.Org
> for help.
>Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
>

>My guess is thta the graphics cards on these machiens ahve too lilltle
>memory to work with the default set of assumptions on these machines.
>However I really don't need very hi-res displays on these amchines.
>
>Any sugestions as to how to get Xorg to work with these machines?

Hmm.  Looks like you'll need to make some spec changes in
a config file.  Generate one with `Xorg -configure` ... it won't
actually run X, but will test and tell you where it placed the
file.  Try X again, and make sure it's finding said file (check
the output on ttyv0 or wherever ... log file will say also IIRC).

You'll then need to tweak Refresh rates and Sync for your
monitors and see what happens.

Please include standard disclaimers, waivers of damages
and remember YMMV and all that.   ;-)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
The meta-Turing test counts a thing as intelligent if it seeks to
devise and apply Turing tests to objects of its own creation.