sending large amount of data securely

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sat Mar 11 17:16:10 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>    Unfortunately, the box doesn't have the room on it to make the tar
> backup, so i'd have to tar over ssh, then untar on the other box. Is
> this doable?
> Thanks.
> Dave.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Micah" <micahjon at ywave.com>

>>> Thanks.
>>> Dave.
>>>

>> Some options are to tar then scp, or to use rsync+ssh.  I've
>> transfered 6gb tar backups via scp in the past with no problems.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Micah

Yes, you can direct the output of tar into ssh and have that output into
tar on the other end.  Google for specifics, but a the simple search
terms "tar over ssh" turned up this thread:

P.S. Don't forget to CC the list.  Someone there surely could've
answered your question in a more timely fashion that I could this last week.

HTH,
Micah