make installworld fails

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Mar 11 14:06:39 UTC 2006

lars at gmx.at wrote:
> Erik Trulsson wrote:
[ ... ]
>> It is sometimes necessary to reboot with the new kernel to have 'make
>> installworld' work correctly (and the recommended procedure is to
>> reboot into single user mode *before* running 'mergemaster -p' (which in
>> turn is to be done before 'make installworld').
> Correct, I forgot since I hadn't been doing it in a while
> (so much for reading the handbook...).
>
> But how do I know when it's necessary?

If you know what the differences are between the installed system and what you
are updating to, then you can figure out for yourself whether rebooting is
necessary.

> Or should I just reboot twice no matter what?

UPDATING is supposed to mention sufficiently important changes that make
rebooting necessary, but if you want the process of updating your system to
always work properly, you should follow the steps as provided, without taking
any shortcuts.

But if you get it wrong, boot off the most recent ISO image, and either fix the
problem or do a binary upgrade reinstallation...

--
-Chuck