make installworld fails

beni.brinckman at dommel.be beni.brinckman at dommel.be
Sat Mar 11 10:39:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:52:01AM +0100, beni.brinckman at dommel.be wrote:

[no he didn't; please use a mail client that quotes properly - it is
confusing to read your emails otherwise, since Lars wrote some of the
below text and not you]

Yes he did, but i don't see the relevance of this remark to the initial
question. But to answer your question, this is written via webmail, so any
issues your reader has, please contact my provider (dommel.be) so that he can
change this webmail program.

> The error message is wrong.

Actually it's correct, just a bit unclear.  UPDATING includes the
complete procedure you should always follow when building world.  It
includes a 'mergemaster -p' step, precisely for the purpose of adding
new users and groups when they appear.

> There is a new group in '/etc/group' called 'audit:*:77:'.
>
> I recommend you don't automate mergemaster operations,
> and rerun the whole procedure manually.

Yes, this script is just asking for trouble.  Still, I bet you'll stop
using it after the first time it destroys your FreeBSD installation
:-)

Until now this script did exactly what is was supposed to do, so I don't see why
I should stop now.

> I didn't re-cvsup after doing the 'rm -rf /usr/obj/*', but did a manually
'make
> -j4 make buildworld' which ended without problems or errors.
> I don't mergemaster.

You need to.  If you insist on not doing so, any problems that result
are your own concern.

So why didn't the maintainers/programmers add an entry to UPDATING ? That's why
the file is for, no ? To explain any changes made and to prevent destroying
your fbsd installation I thought...

> If I manually add the group 'audit' the problem should be fixed ? Is this a
new
> group or is it needed for some program ?

It's needed by parts of FreeBSD, which is why it's there.

Then it's very recently added, cause I used the same script last week without
any problems.

But your suggestion to 'mergemaster -p' added the new group and the 'make
installworld' completed without any further problems. Thanks.

Beni(.brinckman at dommel.be).