make installworld fails

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Mar 11 10:01:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:52:01AM +0100, beni.brinckman at dommel.be wrote:

[no he didn't; please use a mail client that quotes properly - it is
confusing to read your emails otherwise, since Lars wrote some of the
below text and not you]

> The error message is wrong.

Actually it's correct, just a bit unclear.  UPDATING includes the
complete procedure you should always follow when building world.  It
includes a 'mergemaster -p' step, precisely for the purpose of adding
new users and groups when they appear.

> There is a new group in '/etc/group' called 'audit:*:77:'.
>
> I recommend you don't automate mergemaster operations,
> and rerun the whole procedure manually.

Yes, this script is just asking for trouble.  Still, I bet you'll stop
using it after the first time it destroys your FreeBSD installation
:-)

> This is the script in question :
> #!/bin/sh
> echo Subject: `hostname` weekly cvsup run output
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/supfile
> cd /usr/src
> echo ===========================================
> echo Make buildworld now...
> echo ===========================================
> make -j4 buildworld
> echo ===========================================
> echo Make buildkernel now...
> echo ===========================================
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=BENI-60
> echo ===========================================
> echo Make installkernel now...
> echo ===========================================
> make installkernel KERNCONF=BENI-60
> echo ===========================================
> echo Make installworld now...
> echo ===========================================
> make installworld
> echo ===========================================
> echo `date` : Build Completed
> echo ===========================================
> if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
> echo ===========================================
> echo `date` : BENI-60 kernel build completed
> echo ===========================================
> else
> echo '**************************************'
> echo `date`: BENI-60 kernel build failed
> echo '**************************************'
> fi
> echo ===========================================
> echo updating portstree now...
> echo ===========================================
> /usr/sbin/portsnap fetch update
> echo ===========================================
> echo These ports need updating...
> echo ===========================================
> pkg_version -l '<'
>

> I didn't re-cvsup after doing the 'rm -rf /usr/obj/*', but did a manually 'make
> -j4 make buildworld' which ended without problems or errors.
> I don't mergemaster.

You need to.  If you insist on not doing so, any problems that result
are your own concern.

> If I manually add the group 'audit' the problem should be fixed ? Is this a new
> group or is it needed for some program ?

It's needed by parts of FreeBSD, which is why it's there.

Kris