COMPAT?? options in FreeBSD 6.x's /etc/make.conf.

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Mar 9 13:28:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:34:40PM +0200, Jonathan Kop wrote:
> I don't know if I'm being a dope about this, but I can't seem to figure
> out how to get libc.so.3 compiled and installed in FreeBSD 6.x.
>
> Previously (at least in FreeBSD 5.x), the backwards-compatible libcs could
> be found in /usr/src/lib/compat, and setting the appropriate option in
> /etc/make.conf (e.g. COMPAT3X=yes, etc.) would ensure that the desired
> library would be built and installed.
>
> In FreeBSD 6.x, however, those make.conf directives appear to be
> unavailable and the compat libraries do not exist in the source tree.
> (Unless I'm missing something obvious.)

Correct. The compat libraries were removed from the source tree some time
ago.

> (There is also a port for the compat libraries, but that looks to be
> derelict and scheduled for removal from the ports tree.)

The misc/compat[345]x ports, are what you are supposed to use.
The libraries included in the misc/compat3x port does appear to have some
security problems that nobody has fixed, and the port is therefore marked
FORBIDDEN.
(I don't think there are many (if any) FreeBSD developers who still care
about 3.x, so it seems unlikely that those security problems will be fixed
any time soon (if ever).)

> So, the question: how do I get libc.so.3 on my FreeBSD 6.x system?

misc/compat3x
If you are not worried about the scurity holes with that you should be able
to just comment out the FORBIDDEN line in the port's Makefile and install
the port.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson