Newbie FreeBSD/Linux Question

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 8 21:32:16 UTC 2006

Lawrence Petrykanyn wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am a newbie trying to compile the program JACK that is
> required for the midi sequencer Rosegarden.  This program
> (JACK) is not available through the ports collection and is
> intended for a Linux system.  I am running FreeBSD 5.4 with
> linux compatibility supported.  Below is is the readme file for
> JACK and I have chosen to follow the second option.  I have
> created the /mnt/ramfs directory and edited my /etc/stab file
> as directed.  What I don't understand is the last instruction
> of the second option listed below, the line that says,
>
> "add --with-default-tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs to the JACK configure
> line when you build it".
>
> I tried "make --with-default-tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs" and received
> a message informing me that this is not correct Make syntax.
>
> Am I supposed to edit the config file(s) that accompany the
> source code?  If so, which one(s), config.h.in, configure,
> configure.ac or one of the files in the config directory of
> this package?
>
> This is probably a very simple matter, but I have googled
> around and cannot find an answer.  Any comments,
> suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Lawrence

Just a wild guess; is it bad English?  Have you tried
this string when doing "configure" instead of "make"?
Perhaps that is what is meant.

            ./configure --with-default-tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs

HTH, but not holding my breath,

Kevin Kinsey

--
Fanaticism consists of redoubling your effort when you have
forgotten your aim.