suggestions for an ecomomy laser printer

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 7 20:50:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:23:52PM -0500, dataivNOSPAM at noc.peon.net wrote:
> I recently bought a Brother HL-2070N for $200 Canadian, and it includes
> network interface, is a 20 ppm black & white laser printer. It does,
> however, require a new drum every ~12,000 pages, and toner cartridges are
> estimated to last about 2,500 pages, so they aren't the biggest toner
> cartridges around.

I bought a Brother HL-5250DN for $249.95 at Staples, wasn't even on
sale. Has "BRscript" Postscript clone, ethernet, duplex, and all that
good stuff. First page from cold in 10 or 20 seconds.

IIRC the drum is said to last 25,000 pages, toner 3,000. Came with a
full toner. At the MSRP prices I'm seeing (at Staples) for the drum
assembly a new printer would be only $20 more than drum+toner. Am hoping
the aftermarket reloaders and drum resurfacers are up to speed when my
time comes.

I haven't bothered to configure it on my FreeBSD machine yet. I fully
expect it to work. There is a slight difference in graphic output
between BRscript and PCL6 on this printer. I haven't been printing
enough graphics on it to care enough to determine a preference. Speed is
same.

One thing I've noticed with all laser printers in the home, when they
power cycle the lights flicker. This one hits hard enough my APC-650
kicks in, but my APC-1200 does not. No, I know better than to plug the
laser into a UPS.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net