suggestions for an ecomomy laser printer

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Mar 7 19:01:58 UTC 2006

I would look at low cost lasers that include postscript (along with PCL),
one that has a CPU and renders the page in the printer (vs a Windows
printer) and a network interface.  Under $500 is easy to do in the samsung
line, if you are willing to spend a couple more hundred you can get a color
laser in that line.  Then set your printer up with an IP on your LAN.  You
may need to setup a filter in lpd to print correct end-of-line characters
(Cr-Lf vs Lf) but that is pretty easy to do.

Cost per page is by far cheapest in straight monochrome.  Printing
monochrome on a color model is more expensive as the toner containers are
smaller capacity, which keeps the cost per page higher.  You will get the
lowest cost per page using high capacity monochrome toners.

         -Derek