New logo, new look

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Tue Mar 7 11:27:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:19:28AM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 05:01:43PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > >The problem with that argument is that some people, including myself, liked
> > >the new logo.  Since opinion is entirely subjective, you may as well shut
> > >up.
> >
> > Is there a reason why both the old and new logos cannot be used in tandem?
> > I'd rather leave the old one up on my web site, since, personally, I like
> > it better ... I understand the argument for a 'new logo', but, quite
> > frankly, after looking at the new one, I'm surprised the same arguments
> > (being associated with a demon) isn't still being made, since the new one
> > *still* gives that same connotation ...
> >
> > My preference is to keep using the old logo ("Beastie") on my web site,
> > and I imagine there are others that feel the same way ... are we going to
> > be "shunned" as a result?  I would hope not ...
>
> Absolutely not - that was never the plan.  Remember that Beastie
> represents BSD as a whole, while the new logo will represent FreeBSD.
> That's all it's about.

Occurs to me that the meaning of "absolutely not" might not be that
clear above: if you want to use Beastie on stuff, nobody will point at
you or mutter behind your back.  We, as in the FreeBSD project, will
mainly be using the new one, as it will identify the FreeBSD project as
opposed to just BSD in general like Beastie does.

Ceri
                                                  -- Moliere