What do I do with a kernel panic's dump?

Alexander Mayfield alexmayfield at carolina.rr.com
Sat Mar 4 05:29:21 PST 2006

Right, so I've got my 6.0-RELEASE up and running, and I'm slowly, but
surely getting it configured how I like it.  80x50 console, all my
favorite programs, life is quite good.

However, just recently, when browsing the web, the kernel panicked on
me.  I was currently just browsing the web in Opera, doing a
portsmanager -u in the my second console, with centericq running in 7
and irssi in 8.  Since I was in X at the time, I had no idea what it was
doing until it rebooted itself.  When I rebooted, I found out that it
had made a few files in my /var/crash/ directory, how thoughtful.  The
shorter of the two files read like the following:

Dump header from device /dev/ad1s2b
   Architecture: i386
   Architecture Version: 2
   Dump Length: 1072234496B (1022 MB)
   Blocksize: 512
   Dumptime: Sat Mar  4 07:27:20 2006
   Hostname: alexmax.localdomain
   Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
   Version String: FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
   Panic String: vm_page_insert: page already inserted
   Dump Parity: 3300035405
   Bounds: 0
   Dump Status: good

The other one was quite large, so I will not bore you with the details
unless you need them.  However, from there, I have no clue what to do
with the dumps.. I now ask where should I start looking for
problems...or perhaps what information should I give you?

Also, while I'm at it, I'm having a few niggling problems with FreeBSD
that are bugging me.

1. In certain programs, such as irssi, my alt key does not work.  If I
run irssi within an aterm, the alt-number combinations work fine.
However, if I am using a console, doing alt-number does not work, and
instead I must use the Escape key.  How do I fix this?
2. My Delete key exhibits similar strange behavior, except instead of
doing nothing, it sometimes acts like a backspace key.

Thank you in advance.  In spite of my troubles, I'm finding my
experience with FreeBSD most satisfactory. :)

-Alex