saslauthd problems

Greg Groth ggroth99 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 23:35:35 PST 2006

I wrote a while back that I was having difficulty getting SMTP-AUTH running
on a BSD box, and could not get it to work correctly.  I happy to report
that I have located the problem, and thought I'd post the solution in case
anyone else runs into this.  My configuration on one box worked fine, yet
the second one wouldn't.  The problem turned out to be nothing to do with
the box at all, but the firewall.  The server that worked is sitting behind
IPCop, and the one that wouldn't is behind a pix box.  Apparently Cisco has
a "smtp fix-up" that mangles EHLO (http://tinyurl.com/nnovb).  Once this
"feature" was deactivated, everything worked just fine.  I didn't catch this
first time around because I didn't have the log options for sendmail set
high enough to show the mangled EHLO command.

Greg Groth