rebooting and crashes on dell server

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 3 03:38:08 PST 2006

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>You need to load an OS supported by Dell - ie: Windows -
>on this system first and run some stress-testers on it and
>see if it locks up.   If it does not then try Linux and if that
>works, you either use Linux or call Dell and tell them to make it
>work with FreeBSD or your going to return the server to Dell.
>You have 30 days from date of purchase to do this per UCC.
>

>>Tired of messing with it, I bought a new dell
>>poweredge 2650, with scsi raid, a couple gigs of ram,
>>duals, and just a new system, configured it, copied
>>user data over and switched to it.  Sure enough still
>>the worst stability I've ever seen.  It has dual power
>>supplies, each in a different UPS. I don't believe
>>power is the problem or I'd see similar problems on
>>the other server or router I have plugged in there.  I
>>even upgraded to 6.0-Release-p1 but no luck.

Well, we run some 2850's which may or may not be similar and they run
fine.  Random reboots sounds like hardware.  Our Dell's came with
bootable diagnostics on the first disk slice (F1 at boot time) so if you
didn't scrub them I would suggest booting them.  If you did scrub them
then I would call Dell, but as Ted says, they may bitch and moan that
they don't support FreeBSD.

--Alex