Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Kristian Vaaf vaaf at broadpark.no
Fri Mar 3 02:58:34 PST 2006

At 17:21 28.02.2006, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
>On Tuesday 28 February 2006 05:15, Kristian Vaaf wrote:
> >
> > Hello Don!
> >
> > Thank you for some good help.
> >
> > My make.conf only had some use.perl stuff.
> > I added your flags.
> >
> > Also I've revised my sequence:
> >
> > cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile \
> >
> > && cd /usr/obj \
> > && chflags -R noschg * \
> > && rm -rf * \
> >
> > && cd /usr/src ; make clean \
> > && make buildworld \
> > && make buildkernel KERNCONF=NINJA \
> > && make installkernel KERNCONF=NINJA \
> > && make installworld \
> > && mergemaster \
> >
> > And am now ready to give it another go :)
> >
> > All the best,
> > Vaaf
>
>Krisstian,
>
>There are some places in your sequence, that I think are going to give
>you trouble. DO NOT run this as a script, run script while you're doing
>it. I think you're misunderstanding some things, so, I give the
>procedure I use again with some comments about what is happening:
>
> >cvsup -g -L 2 sup-src
>
> >script /home/script/buildworld/bw-20060228
>
> >cd /usr/obj
> > pwd
> >/usr/obj               this is confirmation I am where I want to be
> > ls
> >usr                    Hey, there is something there
>
> >chflags -R noschg *
> >rm -rf *
> >ls
> >                       it's gone, great
>
> >cd /usr/src
> >pwd
> >/usr/src               I am where I want to be
>
> >make cleandir          whole bunch of action on the screen
> >make cleandir          run it again, yes you want to do that
>
> >make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=PRES1750-i386
>
> >make installkernel KERNCONF=PRES1750-i386
>
> >exit                   shut off script
> >shutdown -r now
>
>at the boot menu, hit the <6> key you want to come up in single-user
>mode, not multi-user. If you make a mistake, reboot and do it right. If
>it went by too fast, use the spacebar to halt the boot process.
>
> > <6>
>OK  boot -s             boots up but you're not done yet
>Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:  <Enter>
># fsck -p               <Enter>
># mount -u /            <Enter>
># mount -a -t ufs       <Enter>
># swapon -a             <Enter>
>
># script /home/script/buildworld/iw-20060228
># cd /usr/src
># pwd                   am I where I want to be
># /usr/src              yes, I am
># mergemaster -p        run mergemaster in preinstall mode
>
># make installworld     hey, look at it go
># mergemaster -i
>answer <d> to remove the old temporary directory, you don't need it
>anymore.
>answer <i> to everything mergemaster asks, I don't care that the
> [...]

Dear Don,

Amazing build sequence you got there.

The single user boot seems interesting, but is it really necessary?
Isn't it just for temporary security reasons?

I run the script to save time.
Basically I'd run the exact same chain of commands otherwise.

The computer I want to do this on is, by the way, a Pentium 120 :)

Thanks man,
Yes you did catch me in time,

Vaaf