flashplugin not working

dgmm freebsd01 at dgmm.net
Thu Mar 2 16:21:07 PST 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 23:30, Warren Liddell wrote:
> Im using Freebsd6.1-pre
>
> I have the flash pluginwrapper isntalled and not sure if i need anything
> else, to get flash working in Mozilla .. as presently it isnt and im slowly
> getting sick of accessing all the sites i need to and not being able to
> view them all due to this.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

Chandon Handler wrote this quick how-to the other day and posted to the list
Anyone looking for a quick solution, this is what worked for me
on FreeBSD 6.0 Release.

I have /usr/ports extracted from the 6.0 Release ISO CD.  I also
have a directory which I named /home/newports extracted from
the latest portsnap download:
  portsnap -p /home/newports fetch
  portsnap -p /home/newports extract
followd by
  portsnap -p /home/newports update

The following steps gave me firefox 1.0.7 with a working flash 6
plugin:

  cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
  make install clean
  cd  /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin6
  make install clean
  cd /home/newports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
  make install clean
  cp -i
/usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper/libmap.conf-FreeBSD6
/etc/libmap.conf

Finally edit /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh and add
  /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6 to MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
  (near the end of the script) (colon-separated path components)

Now run firefox as usual.

That was it for me.  Hope this or some variation of this helps
anyone who needs a working setup quickly.  Various linux
compatibility packages got installed in the process as
dependencies (list below) but none gave me any trouble.

linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3 XFree86 libraries, Linux binary
linux-expat-1.95.5_3 Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library
linux-flashplugin-6.0r79_3 The official Macromedia Flash Player for
Linux Mozilla and
linux-flashplugin-7.0r61 The official Macromedia Flash Player for Linux
Mozilla and
linux-fontconfig-2.1_3 Linux/i386 binary of Fontconfig
linux-glib2-2.2.1_3 Version 2.X Linux/i386 binary port of GLib
linux_base-8-8.0_6  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (only for
i386)
linuxpluginwrapper-20051113 A wrapper allowing use of linux-plugins with
native applica

Unfortunately the build of firefox 1.5 in /home/newports breaks
for me, so I cannot get firefox 1.5 and flash working together in
this manner yet.  Also, I installed linux-flashplugin7 the same
way, however, it crashes firefox 1.0.7 immediately at start, so I
removed the plugin path for flash 7 from MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH.

Firefox 1.0.7 + Flash 6 will keep me running until the new
versions stabilize.

I followed it and got it working with Firefox 1.5, FreeBSD 5.3.

It won't do Flash7 stuff of course.  I tried adapting the above for Flash7 and
it failed.  I didn't try very hard though.

Dave