Tracking Security in Ports and Base System

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 12:43:20 PST 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 13:59, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, chris at chrismaness.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Is my supfile correct to track security for freebsd-6.0?
>
> [snip]
>
> > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
>
> [snip]
>
> As I understand it, that tag will get you the latest released version
> of 6.x. So today it would apply security and bugfix updates for 6.0,
> but after 6.1 comes out you would get 6.1, and so on. If you want to
> track 6.0 specifically, use RELENG_6_0. Right now there is no
> difference between RELENG_6 and RELENG_6_0, but later there will be.
>

> As everyone else has said, see the Handbook for definitive answers.
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
> **                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

This is not quite correct. "tag=RELENG_6" will give you the src for
6-STABLE, which is to say "FreeBSD 6.1 PRELEASE", or maybe its
RELEASECANDIDATE now. tag=RELENG_6_0 will get you the sources for the
6.0 release branch, used only for security and other critical fixes. So
yes, there is a difference between the two tags.

Don